Into the Wild: integrating nature into investment strategies
Posted on 06 May 2019
Today, WWF France, in partnership with the French multinational AXA insurance, launched a new report, Into the Wild: integrating nature into investment strategies.Jointly presenting the report to environment ministries at the G7 in Metz, WWF France Board Member, Monique Barbut, and AXA CEO, Thomas Buberl, highlighted the economic and financial impacts of 'bankrupting' nature and how investors can help reverse nature loss through new forms of public-private collaboration.
Financial institutions have an important role to play in tackling nature loss and ensuring financial activities support rather than degrade ecosystem functionality.
The report calls for comprehensive and accurate data on nature-related impacts and dependencies that supports investment in natural capital and nature restoration, and helps investors align portfolios with planetary boundaries.
While financial institutions face increasing exposure to nature risk, there are also promising investment opportunities to address rising societal demand for nature conservation.
Key recommendations for governments and financial institutions include:
- establishment of a Task Force on Nature Impact Disclosures to promote open cross-sector and cross-border collaboration between investors and policymakers
- inclusion of material biodiversity considerations in ESG criteria and rating methodologies by non-financial rating agencies
- creation of an investment framework for analyzing biodiversity risk and engaging businesses, especially the most damaging sectors
- public engagement through initiatives that highlight financial products that support nature
- prioritisation and integration of nature protection and restoration in all decision-making