Posted on 23 July 2020
Location: Brussels, Belgium
As Cocoa Lead Expert you are responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of WWF’s position and strategy on cocoa. You will create, conduct and coordinate a cross offices cocoa working group in order to create alignment and strengthen the role of sustainable cocoa in WWF’s global conservation agenda.
As Cocoa Lead Expert, you have a strong technical grasp of cocoa sustainability issues that enables you to consult, support and advise WWF on business and government policies, agriculture, forestry and landscape work related to cocoa. Besides, you maintain excellent relationships with the cocoa sector stakeholders, including multinational companies, governments & policy makers, civil society organizations and academia.
- Developing WWF position on cocoa and associated strategy to reduce the key impacts of cocoa production on biodiversity and forests.
- Align WWF’s commodity and global strategies on forests, markets and food and ensure that cocoa is becoming a strategic crop within the network based on the best available scientific knowledge
- Develops asks, compelling arguments, and business cases for change, that support the engagement of companies, government agencies and other organizations that are identified as priorities.
- Identify, engage and influence demand companies and traders on sustainability issues in cocoa sector
- Ensures that WWF’s interests are represented in priority industry platforms, multi-stakeholder initiatives, standards bodies, or roundtables for cocoa. Prepares or contributes to policy positions relevant to cocoa.
2. Overseeing the execution of strategy and coordinating across all network offices.
3. Mobilizing the WWF to ensure a well-coordinated approach towards sustainable cocoa across network.
- Sets up and coordinates a WWF cocoa working group and convenes regular meetings
- Motivates WWF Network staff and key offices to help conceive and take part in implementing the Cocoa Strategy through their office contributions
- Contributes to internal learning and knowledge management by routinely and consistently sharing lessons learned and models of change
4. Fundraising, communicating and mobilizing resources towards more sustainable cocoa.
- Plan and oversee budget for cocoa work
- Identify sources of funding and develop fundraising proposals to implement WWF’s cocoa strategy with the support of relevant national, regional offices of WWF-International teams.
- Contributes to reporting on cocoa’s work with respect to external and internal funds as required
- Co-develops WWF’s communication strategy and messages on cocoa
- Is consulted about international messaging or releases that relate to cocoa, its supply chains or the stakeholders involved.
- Spokesperson on cocoa at the international level
In the first year of your mission, your priorities will be to (1) convene the WWF network, (2) develop a clear vision for the role of cocoa in WWF’s global conservation agenda, develop a strategy accordingly, (3) support and advise the engagement with market players and multistakeholder platforms in key consumer markets and (4) identify funding opportunities and develop project proposals in particular to connect WWF’s priority landscapes (in particular the TRIDOM landscape in the Congo Basin) to markets.
- Relevant academic qualifications (university level) in Agriculture, Economics, Natural Sciences, or related discipline
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in dealing with commodities and sustainability at the international level
- In-depth knowledge of sustainability issues in the cocoa sector
- Experience of agri-business and/or related policy measures
- Track record of implementing action that contributes to system change
- Familiarity with the WWF Network and/or other international NGOs is an advantage
- Effective strategist, manager and motivator
- Good communicator
- Capacity to work effectively in virtual teams
- Ability to raise and manage funds
- Fluent in English; proficiency in other relevant languages such as French and/or Spanish are advantageous
Adheres to WWF’s values: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging
- An initial 12 months contract
- An attractive salary package for the sector including meal vouchers, group insurance, health insurance, 100% reimbursement of the costs of public transport ...
- A pleasant working environment in the heart of Brussels, easily accessible by public transport
- The opportunity to contribute to the mission of WWF and to share our values!
Why working with us?
WWF believes in a future where people and nature thrive, so we’re committed to safeguarding the natural world. WWF has teams of experts working in over 100 countries to protect the natural resources that sustain and inspire us: our forests, rivers, oceans, climate, food and wildlife. WWF harnesses the collective power of supporters around the world, communities, companies and governments to create real solutions for people and the planet.
WWF employs knowledgeable, talented people who are passionate about engaging and inspiring others. People who share our optimism that it’s possible to change the world. People who are determined to make a difference.
Then send your updated resume and cover letter through this link before 16/08/2020.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.