WWF works with other NGO´s as well as the fishing, processing and retailing sector to transform tuna fishing into a sustainable business. We also advocate with governments and regional fisheries organisations (RFMOs) for better governance and more efficient tuna management, which includes stricter legal measures and management plans to help recover almost depleted stocks such as the blufin tuna.
WWF´s approach to ensure a sustainable future for tuna include, amongst others:
- inciting governments and RFMOs to manage stocks effectively;
- where stocks are already depleted (such as the bluefin tuna) reduce fishing efforts and urge for robust and efficient recovery plans;
- combatting illegal, unregulated and unreported fishing;
- creating incentives with fishermen to opt for sustainable fishing paractices that help reduce harmful bycatch;
- promoting sustainable certification of tuna fisheries according to standards of the Marine Stewardship Council.