Posted on 16 January 2020
Emirates Nature-WWF (ENWWF) is a UAE environmental non-governmental organization, established under the patronage of HH Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Ruler’s representative in the Western Region and Chairman of Environmental Agency – Abu Dhabi (EAD).
Emirates Nature works in association with WWF, one of the world’s largest and most respected independent conservation organizations. EN-WWF has been active in the UAE since 2001 and has successfully initiated and implemented several conservation and education projects and initiatives in the region.
EN-WWF works federally and in the region with offices in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Fujairah and is governed by a local board of directors.
The Program Leader Market Transformations, Climate and Energy Efficiency is responsible for the development and successful implementation of initiatives related to market transformations, in particular those focused on circular economy, packaging and other waste management, fighting plastic pollution, climate change and promoting sustainable energy within the broader ENWWF multi-year strategy. The Program leader is responsible to build, lead and develop a team of professionals to manage relevant projects and activities, for promoting the principles of circularity, combating climate change, and enhancing renewable energy use and energy efficiency within the UAE, GCC region and WWF International. The Program Leader is expected to support fundraising and communication activities related to reaching strategic organizational outcomes in the said areas.
1. Lead the development, implementation and regular reviews of impactful projects and initiatives.
- Provide sound technical advice on all processes, including projects, managed or participated by ENWWF related to circular economy, fighting plastic pollution, climate change and promoting energy efficiency, in UAE and beyond.
- Draft project document, technical reports and scientific papers to implement ENWWF mission and strategy in the related fields and strengthen EN-WWF credibility locally and internationally.
- Perform quality assurance functions through efficient monitoring and evaluation and application of sound project management standards and practices to demonstrate conservation impact.
- Ensure effective leadership in delivering 2020 priority outcomes by providing strategic direction and technical advice in the relevant fields.
- Develop segments of the organizational strategy 2021-2025 and identify priority projects in the short- and long-term.
- Identify novel opportunities for strategic partnerships in UAE and beyond, to ensure long term buy-in of governmental institutions and wider private sector engagement on related key conservation outputs.
- Ensure adherence to all organizational processes, such as drafting annual workplans and budgeting, support fundraising opportunities and ensure funds allocated for relevant actions are appropriately and efficiently utilized.
2. Act as a thought leader to expand the Market Transformations, Climate Change and Energy Efficiency portfolio of ENWWF, develop innovative initiatives and new partnerships, seek integration across programs and units
- Identify key thematic areas for further organizational growth and transformational collaboration with the private sector organizations.
- Work closely with Associate Directors and the Unit Director to contribute to shaping fundraising plans for the relevant topics and support other organizational strategic processes to enhance conservation impact and the overall brand awareness of ENWWF.
- Actively seek opportunities and potential partnerships in advancing the organizational agenda on circular economy, fighting plastic pollution, climate change and promoting energy efficiency and develop innovative and impactful proposals.
- Actively seek synergies and provide support to initiatives implemented within the wider organization.
- Actively seek collaborative opportunities with other environmental non-profit organizations and identify engagement strategy to increase reach for ENWWF.
- Provide sound advice to the Director, Conservation and Climate Change and ENWWF Management Team, when required.
3. Strengthen policy impact for Market Transformations, Climate and Energy Efficiency through active involvement in local, regional and global dialogues and targeted policy discussions with key stakeholders.
- Identify and contribute to key policy processes and opportunities to promote results and the agenda of EN-WWF in the relevant fields.
- Work closely with relevant institutions and stakeholders to provide science-based information in policy design, enforcement and monitoring with relevant UAE strategic developments.
- Engage with relevant global policy discussions, translate key messages in local context and engage with local stakeholders to influence UAE's participation and agenda.
- Lead and oversee the participation of ENWWF in local and regional policy discussions and identify opportunities for ENWWF to further promote the organizational agenda in the relevant domains.
4. Manage a high-performance team, support implementation of organization’s key decisions and ensure external engagement contributing to long-term organizational success
- Act as the spokesperson on circular economy, fighting plastic pollution, climate change and energy efficiency topics and provide relevant support to the Director for Conservation and Climate Change.
- Develop and support a high-performance team through setting a clear direction, impact-oriented objectives and using coaching and implementing performance appraisal techniques to assist in reaching goals.
- Fostering collaboration among team members and organizational units.
- Act as the Focal Point for the relevant WWF Practices, support engagement with these and oversee the participation of team members in relevant workstreams.
- Support the organization in managing relationships with strategic partners.
- Keeps abreast with international best practices and regional activities to ensure that the solutions that EN-WWF offers are always relevant with the global and local context.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience in the fields of circular economy, waste management, climate change and/or energy.
- Strong experience in environmental policy development, enforcement and monitoring, with a track record in working with the corporate sector.
- Demonstrated experience in developing, implementing and evaluating projects in the related fields.
Leading teams to ensure delivery of impactful and high-quality outcomes.
- Professional experience in UAE, GCC or Middle East is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively, generating innovative ways to drive performance and impact.
- Higher degree in natural and/or environmental sciences or related fields.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and ability to perform under pressure.
- Excellent proven stakeholder management and relationship-building skills.
- Excellent relationship-building skills and exceptional teamwork abilities.
- Demonstrable ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary and multicultural teams.
- Self-starter and able to prioritize activities accordingly.
- Set challenging but realistic goals and solve problems effectively.
- Produce high quality products/services with attention to detail.
- Supportive, constructive and open to influence in dealing with others.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Arabic (desirable).
- Diplomatic and solution-oriented.
- A passion for conservation and experience in a not-for-profit.
Acts as a member of ENWWF, placing higher priority on ENWWF’s goals than own goals and anticipating the effects of own area’s actions on others to ensure holistic ENWWF outcomes.
Looks outwards ensuring ENWWF stays relevant, continues to anticipate and adapt to external environmental and global trends.
Delivering Quality Outcomes
Establishes stretch goals, plans, using best judgment and takes responsibility for planning to and delivering on outcomes.
Building Working Relations:
Builds collaborative relationships through the understanding and development of other’s and own ideas
Uses appropriate means of communication to convey messages, seeks input from others and ensures understanding.
Building Working Relations:
People demonstrating this competency are effective in working with peers, partners and others who are not in the line of command, to positively impact organization performance
Develops direction and shared purpose, builds effective and high-performance teams and ensures goals are accomplished
Encourages and seeks out innovative solutions through people, transformation and aligning an organization in a new and challenging that brings people on a journey constructively and empathetically
Demonstrates an understanding of how the organization operates financially, can identify and direct toward business opportunities by managing resources.
EN-WWF is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and offer a flexible and diverse place of employment.
EN-WWF staff participate wholeheartedly in general activities and events which promotes the overall mission of EN-WWF, whether or not the particular event or activity has any bearing on the job description and assigned project objectives and activities.
How to apply
Please send your application to the attention of Human Resource Manager Ms Magdalena Tayoun with the subject ‘Application: Program Leader – Market Transformations, Climate Change and Sustainable Energy’ to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline is 14th
February 2020. We reserve the right to appoint a candidate prior this date.