Posted on 31 July 2019
Location: Gland, Switzerland, and/or suitable European locations.
Fixed-term contract until 15 June 2020
We have an exciting, new, high profile role, within the New Deal for Nature and People 2020 team, to lead on the engagement with senior WWF staff and Heads of State and their immediate staff on a busy, highly visible and complex platform to strengthen the 2020 outcome.
Despite decades of effort, global trends on the loss of nature remain deeply alarming. Urgent action is needed to reverse biodiversity loss in the next decade and restore natural ecosystems that underpin humanity’s sustainable development.
To move this topic up the global agenda in 2020, WWF is launching an ambitious, integrated network initiative steered by top leadership, and supported by all offices and functions across the Network. To achieve this global goal, WWF strives to 1) radically escalate the political relevance of nature; 2) galvanise a cohesive movement across states and non-state actors to drive change; 3) secure ambitious commitments and strong accountability mechanisms through relevant multi-lateral and non-state mechanisms to deliver change.
To help secure the above, WWF’s Global Deal for Nature & People 2020 will strive to mobilize key stakeholders to encourage global decision makers to play a leadership role. Key stakeholders include the public and civil society, business and the financial sector, as well as political players. Engaging stakeholders effectively will require strong involvement of numerous teams across the WWF family globally, supported by strong scientific research in order to make a strong science-based and economically sound case for urgent action.
• Develops and co-lead the implementation of a high level political engagement strategy, in close collaboration with WWF International and key national office colleagues
• Researches, verifies and coordinates wide ranging and relevant content related to the New Deal for Nature & People 2020, and provides sound judgement and the necessary support for the Global Coordinator, Nature 2020 Workstream Leads and Director General as required
• Co-ordinates the Nature 2020 Steering Committee and Workstream Leads with external outreach and engagements related to Nature 2020 agenda
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Coordinate and regularly convene an internal Task Force of senior WWF experts to refine and implement a strategy to secure governmental support
• Cultivate trusted relationships with WWF offices to ensure they are supported in their government interactions and are securing successful meetings with governments to gain their support.
• Leverage WWF network and external relationships to land government meetings and gain their support
• Ensure interactions with and support of international and multi-lateral governmental institutions
• In coordination with the Director General’s Office and relevant WWF experts, drafts and edits selected correspondence, reports and documents
• Helps create high quality, multimedia presentations for use in key external fora
• Performs regular research/fact checking, to help draft speeches, blogs and opinion pieces for external audiences
• Build and maintain key relationships among policy and government relations staff across the WWF network and in other relevant organizations, and share information
• Contribute as a key and senior member of the 2020 Coordination team, and work closely with the Global Policy Advocacy Team
Undertakes other tasks as assigned relevant to the Nature 2020 agenda
Required Qualifications, Skills and Competencies
• Passionate about WWF mission
• Comprehensive, broad understanding of environmental and development issues
• Strategic analytical skills and good political acumen in high stakes situations
• Fulsome understanding of the environmental and sustainability constellation of players and mechanisms
• Experience devising and delivering effective strategies in a complex environment
• Demonstrable strong project management and organizing skills – an ability to track multiple actions and provide a summarized oversight of progress
• Ability to research information and synthesize it
• Solutions driven and able to work independently
• Strong vocational experience in an international/multi-lateral organization, and experience in facilitating engagement with senior government officials
• A global perspective, with a geo-political understanding of the world
• Strong oral and written communication in English-ability to write in an engaging and eloquent manner with preferably at least one additional language
• Attentive to detail and follow-up, with excellent organisation and prioritisation skills
• Excellent professional credibility with diplomatic and interpersonal skills and capacity to take initiative and work as part of a multicultural team
• Excellent computer skills with expertise in MS Office as well as a working knowledge of collaborative platforms (Google Drive, Zoom, Workplace)
• Demonstrates WWF behaviours in way of working: Strive for Impact, Listen Deeply, Collaborate Openly, Innovate Fearlessly
• Adheres to WWF’s values, which are: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging
Internal – Interacts regularly with the Nature 2020 Coordinator, the DGO office, GPAT team, WWF staff and offices in the Network as required in fulfilment of duties
External – Interacts with relevant external partners (corporates, governments, iNGOs, research institutes etc). as required in fulfilment of duties
All candidates applying to WWF International should have a genuine interest in conservation and the work of WWF and be able to clearly demonstrate behaviours aligned to our culture within WWF:
Strive for Impact, Listen Deeply, Collaborate Openly and Innovate Fearlessly.
How to apply?
***Read carefully ***
Upload as one file your covering letter and CV on our platform. We will not accept applications without CV and Covering Letter.
Deadline for applications: by 14 August 2019.
Work permit restrictions may apply. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.