Posted on 11 January 2021
WWF-Myanmar is now looking for an International Consultancy to Support Environmental Conservation Department (ECD) for Effective Implementation of Environmental Management Plan (EMP).
Location: home-based with substantial travel in Myanmar.
The “Tha Bar Wa” project: Since 2018, WWF Myanmar – in a consortium with WWF Germany, Myanmar Food Processing Export Association (MFPEA) and the German Sparkassenstiftung (SBFIC) - is implementing a grant project under the title “Tha Bar Wa - Catalysing Sustainable Water and Energy Management in the Food and Beverage (F&B) Industry in the Ayeyarwady River Basin, Myanmar”. Funded under the European Commission’s Switch Asia programme, Tha Bar Wa aims to promote cleaner production in the Food & Beverage (F&B) sector with a focus on improving water and energy management. The project aims to: improve the legal framework for (waste) water and energy management and its enforcement; enable F&B enterprises to adopt water and energy management practices and technologies; institutionally strengthen selected domestic banks in the field of green SME lending; and share the lessons learned to promote replication in other industrial zones and the wider region.
The main three objective of this consultancy are:
(a) Strengthen the implementation of Myanmar’s Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) system by providing detailed guidance on Environmental Management Plans (EMPs) for key industrial sectors such as food and beverage industries;
(b) Develop a checklist to support the implementation of EMPs in food and beverage industries; and
(c) Develop a review and draft monitoring and environmental strategic plan and roadmap for ECD;
The purpose of this assignment is to assist Environmental Conservation Department (ECD) under Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Conservation (MoNREC) in Myanmar, through a multi-stakeholder process, to review existing Environmental Management Plan - EMP (applicable to 9 prioritise industries of Myanmar) checklist and prepare a detailed guideline for the manufacturing industry (esp. food and beverage sector), so that the industry will develop EMP and submit their EMP to ECD for review, monitoring and supervision. Additionally, the objective is to develop a strategy and a roadmap for ECD to review and monitor the submitted EMPs.
The profiles of the international consultant for this assignment are as follows:
Qualifications and skills
• An university degree (at least Bachelor level) in environmental engineering/management/ science/ law or a related field,
• A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience internationally including in Asian Region in the similar assignments reviewing Government Environmental (specific to industrial) regulation and laws.
• Fluency in English and experience in writing similar policy reports and preparing knowledge products.
General professional experience
• Candidates with extensive country expertise and/or work experience in Myanmar strongly preferred.
• Demonstrated experience in preparing policy document and guidelines and trainings, preferably on Environmental Management Plans, Environmental Impact Assessments (EIAs) for the industrial sector and how to review them;
Specific professional experience
• Extensive experience in the field of environmental management of the industrial sector (reporting, implementation, review and audit).
• Extensive experience on supporting policies on EIA and EMPs to the government especially in Asian countries.
• Knowledge of production processes and pollution parameters and level of impacts of different industries.
• The consultant must be independent and free from conflicts of interest in the responsibilities they take on.
The detailed responsibilities are can be downloaded at the right side of this page.
Application submission and deadline: The individual consultant (international) is supposed to submit her/ his proposal that includes the total number of days required for this consultancy including her/ his daily rates as part of her/his application. The consultant will also submit her/ his latest CV highlighting relevant qualification and experiences related to this ToR to the email below no later than 22nd January 2021 (Friday), 5:00 pm Myanmar time.
WWF Myanmar reserves the right to select or not select or even cancel the tendering process.
Application deadline: 22nd January 2021 (Friday) by 5: 00 pm Myanmar time.
Application to be emailed to: email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.