The MedMPAnet Project
- Led by RAC/SPA
- Aims to promote the establishment of new MPAs in the south and east of the Mediterranean
- Part of the MedPartnership GEF full size project "Strategic Partnership for the Mediterranean Sea Large Ecosystem" led by UNEP. The objective of the MedPartnership project is to leverage reforms and investments to address marine and coastal biodiversity conservation priorities for the Mediterranean.
- Complementary to the MedPAN South Project
The MedPAN North Project
- Piloted by WWF France in partnership with MedPAN
- European Union Programme Med funding line.
- Gathers 12 partners of 6 Mediterranean European countries.
- 2.4M€ 3 year project (2010-2013) and
- has the objective to improve the effectiveness of MPA management in these countries (including marine Natura 2000 sites) through 5 components
- Focuses on Innovating aspects of MPA management, sustainable management of fisheries in MPA and sustainable management of tourism in MPAs
- Network of managers of Marine Protected Areas in the Mediterranean
- Aims to promote MPA sustainable management in the 21 countries of the Mediterranean basin
- Gathers over 20 members representing close to 30 MPAs of the Mediterranean basin
- Created in 1990 and developed with the support of WWF
- Now an independent structure based in Hyères, France