Posted on 16 January 2020
WWF launched a new strategy that harnesses the strengths of the WWF network in a shared vision, focussing on six major goals - water, wildlife, the ocean, climate and energy, forests, and food – and three key drivers of environmental problems – markets, finance and governance.
In support of this strategy WWF undertook a redesign of its international secretariat that will further unite WWF offices and its near 6,400 staff around the world. This will help WWF to build stronger partnerships across the world with government, business, civil society and individuals. Together, we will deliver on WWF’s ambitious goals.
We are recruiting the role of Head of Internal Audit for our International Secretariat to help us achieve our new ambitious goals, and build a future where people live in harmony with nature.
WWF International Woking.
Between £56,700 - £64,000gross per year, based on full-time employment.
Permanent open-ended contract.
Mission of the Department:
To provide the Director General and Board of Trustees, through the Audit Risk and Compliance Committee, with an independent and objective assessment of the risk, control and governance arrangements in place at WWF International and in all entities for which it is legally responsible.
- Manages and develops WWF International’s Internal Audit function in accordance with the Internal Audit Charter as approved by the Audit Risk and Compliance Committee (ARCC)
- Leads and co-ordinates Network-wide Internal Audit activity, maximising efficiency and effectiveness through a harmonised approach, shared resources (where appropriate), and shared plans, results and learnings. Works with senior management and peers from around the Network, including the Network Internal Audit Group, to achieve this goal
- Liaises with and complements other sources of assurance, both within WWF International and the wider Network, including external audit, compliance, risk management, as part of the overall Assurance framework
- Acts as a focal point, advising management on aspects of risk management, internal control and assurance, as required.
- Works with other Assurance specialists to promote efforts to further develop and embed an effective Risk Management framework in WWF International and the wider Network.
- Formulates and delivers an appropriate strategy for Internal Audit, including its approach to risk assessment, executing and reporting on audits and resourcing the function
- Attends ARCC meetings for the purpose of gaining approval of Internal Audit’s activities, reporting its results and providing the ARCC members with an appropriate level of assurance about the management of key risks
- Develops and manages the Internal Audit team to ensure effective and efficient delivery of the departmental strategy
- Leads and develops the WWF Network Internal Audit Group
- Liaises with other specialist assurance activities to ensure effective co-ordination and cross-fertilisation of ideas
- Seeks to minimise the audit ‘burden’ on offices, by leading efforts to co-ordinate audits requested by other stakeholders e.g. donors, local regulators, partners, other internal parties
- Promotes Internal Audit as a value-added activity which assists management in achieving their objectives, builds positive relationships with management at each level of the organisation in order to facilitate improvement of risk management, control and governance processes
- Works with other specialist Assurance functions to develop and embed risk management activities, providing advice on the approach, facilitating risk assessment and coaching management and staff, as required. When risk management is well established, Internal Audit retains a role in providing assurance over of the effectiveness of the risk management processes.
- Graduate calibre
- Recognised internal audit or accounting qualification e.g. MIIA, ACA, CIMA
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar role in an international organisation or commercial environment, with demonstrated success in developing the profile and effectiveness of internal audit activities
- Good knowledge of and substantial exposure to a range of internal audit techniques, including current best practice, and to internal control frameworks and practices
- Familiarity with current best practice Risk Management techniques
- Substantial exposure to the international business environment and good appreciation of cultural and business issues
- Experience of establishing and developing a distributed team
- Excellent report writing and presentational skills
- Perfect command of English language and any other language/s an asset
- Effective communication at all levels including ability to gain acceptance of views at senior management level
- Able to exercise sound professional judgement in all aspects of the role
- Able to handle sensitive matters with tact, diplomacy and discretion
- Able to operate within a relatively unstructured and changing environment. Flexible and resilient
- Able to find pragmatic solutions where resource or capacity limitations exist. Able to find an appropriate balance between ‘text book’ risk management and internal controls and its application on the ground
- Able to influence colleagues/management who may have little interest in/appreciation of internal control matters to ensure implementation of audit recommendations and build a stronger control environment
- Personal integrity and professional conduct in all situations
- Passion for the conservation and sustainability mission of the organisation
- Adheres to WWF’s values, which are: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging
- Demonstrates WWF behaviours in ways of working: strive for impact, listen deeply, collaborate openly and innovate fearlessly.
How to apply?
***Read carefully ***
Only one single document can be uploaded through this platform.
Upload your covering letter and CV as one file
. We will not accept applications without CV and Covering Letter.
Deadline for applications: by 9 February 2020.
Work permit restrictions may apply.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.