Forest Programme Officer TanzaniaTERMS OF REFERENCE
Position Title: Forest Programme Officer
Reports to: Forest Programme Coordinator
Position Grade: A2
- Major functions:
- Major duties and responsibilities:
- S/he will be in-charge of all forest management activities within the forest landscapes.
- In collaboration with identified key stakeholders, take a lead in the process of describing and delineating the agreed forest landscape boundaries, and assess issues related to forest gaps, connectivity, and buffer development functions.
- Assess and identify forest activities in the landscape plan followed by identification of strategic development interventions to initiate and support Village Land Use plans, creation of Local Authority Forest Reserves and Village Land Forest Reserves (VLFRs)
- Lead the process to develop a participatory Forest Work Plan with Civil society and local district.
- Facilitate implementation processes of agreed Conservation plans with key indicator baselines completed and new area Management Effectiveness Tracking Tool (METT) scores completed and constantly monitored and reported.
- Support development of practical forest management plans, Village land use Plans associated by-laws and support implementation of these plans with targeted Communities.
- Carry out training and staffing needs assessment at all levels. Plan for direct capacity building interventions based on training/capacity needs of partners.
- Support In-service training courses developed and implemented at all levels within both forestry and associated sectors and within NGOs and Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) in priority forest landscapes.
- Assess the impact of building the capacity of our project partners/key stakeholders against their contribution on project implementation in the field, monitor and, identify weak points for further intervention/improvement.
- Collaborate with Mpingo Conservation Project plus other Civil Societies in the Landscapes to join and scale up Group Certification Scheme under MCDI.
- Facilitate and support alternative livelihoods initiatives and improvement schemes such as beekeeping industry and marketing of certified forest and non-timber forest products.
- Working Relationships
Internal: Interacts regularly with Forests Project team, TCO Projects and Core Staff and WWF Network staff.
External: As a Forest Programme Officer, you will be working with Partners i.e. Tanzania Forest Services (TFS) - Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism; District Councils, local communities in the respective landscapes, other NGOs based in and working in related interventions.
Minimum Work Requirement:
- Relevant university degree, at least a BSc. in Forest sciences, a MSc in Environmental Sciences will be an added advantage;
- Minimum of 2 years working experience at grass root level in forest related projects and/or environment, particularly in facilitating Participatory Forest Management, Village Land Use Planning, Biodiversity surveys and supporting income generating activities;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, good communication and team management spirit;
- Willingness to work in the field and travel to remote areas within the region;
- Knowledge in use of computer software packages for word-processing, databases and spreadsheets, internet;
- Ability to follow deadlines, accuracy and attention to details
- Excellent knowledge and use of English and Swahili language.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.
Apply to: email@example.com
Apply by: Monday 21st May, 2018 at 1630hrs