- In June, indigenous communities, conservation authorities and WWF celebrated 10 years of success in restoring Peru’s largest wetland complex.
- The Cambodian Government has designated a 56 km section of flooded forest in the mainstream of the Mekong River to safeguard key threatened species and fisheries resources.
- A decade-long campaign to protect a global marine conservation priority area has succeeded with the Norwegian Government announcing in October that Lofoten will not be opened up for oil exploration.
- Mexico is to implement sustainable fishing practices to reduce threats to the critically-endangered vaquita porpoise, the world’s smallest and rarest marine mammal.
- Top marine scientists have expressed extreme concern about the survival of the Maui’s dolphin, urging the government to take immediate action to protect all areas of the dolphin’s habitat.