The Changing Nature of High Seas Fishing: How Flags of Convenience provide cover for illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing
- documents trends in the use of Flags of Convenience (FOCs) which allow for extensive
- IUU fishing operations on the high seas;
- describes specific examples of IUU activity;
- names FOC countries, companies and vessels with an opportunity to engage in or support IUU fishing;
- identifies major components of the global infrastructure supporting high seas fishing and companies that could be enlisted to address the IUU challenge;
- describes the impact of free-riding FOC fishing States on resource management, human rights and marine conservation;
- recommends solutions or steps to be taken to eliminate IUU fishing and the FOC system.