About the Nature Challenge
This ‘business driven conservation’ incubator model aims to maximize the environmental returns per shilling invested. The goal is to:
- Identify business models that have a positive and large impact on natural resources and nature conservation and
- Ensure access to (inter) national markets, technology and finance for the most viable business cases.
The Nature Challenge offers access to a mix of national and international seed capital, working capital and/or equity, as well as linkages to buyers and technical support for viable biodiversity business models that directly contribute to sustainable use of natural resources and conservation in Kenya.
The initiative focuses on business being the driver for conservation. For example:
- Use of waste to produce bio-charcoal, biodiesel fencing posts, organic manure and other products
- Agro-forestry schemes-honey production, herbal medicines etc
- Forestry for conservation, timber and/or carbon finance
- Use of alternative energy, biogas, solar application, energy saving stoves
- Sustainable agriculture
- Eco tourism
- Water, and many more!