- political and
- illegal logging,
- poaching and illegal wildlife trade,
- overgrazing and overfishing,
- infrastructure development (pipelines, road construction, etc.), and
- pollution of rivers and wetlands.
- habitat degradation,
- decline of species populations, and d
- isruption of ecological processes
Armenia has a unique natural heritageThis is found in its rich biodiversity and picturesque landscapes. It is a national treasure that must be protected for present and coming generations.
It is the responsibility of all Armenians and it is the vision of WWF-Armenia: to Keep Armenia Healthy and Beautiful now and for generations to come.
WWF-Armenia will achieve this vision throughactivities in the following focus areas:
- Assisting the Government of Armenia to establish new protected areas and develop a protected area network (Econet) including reserves, national parks and others;
- Providing support for institutional strengthening and capacity building via consultancy and technical assistance to protected areas;
- Restoring degraded ecosystems, enhancing the habitat of flora and fauna, conserving priority biomes (forests, high mountains, wetlands)
- Conserving threatened species (Caucasian Leopard, Armenian Mouflon, Bezoar Goat, etc.);
- Promoting alternative livelihoods through sustainable use of natural resources and ecotourism development, thus contributing to income generation and poverty reduction and mitigation of threats to biodiversity;
- Promoting public awareness on environmental issues through environmental education, mass media and communications among all Armenians.
- National authorities
- Ministry of Nature Protection
- Ministry of Agriculture
- Local administrations and communities,
- Scientific institutions,
- The international donor community, and
- Many other key partners.