World Wildlife Fund (WWF), the world’s leading conservation organization, seeks a Specialist for WWF GEF Project Agency at our Washington, DC office. The Specialist supports engagement of partners and development of policy and strategy for WWF’s Global Environment Facility (GEF) Agency. This person oversees/leads project and program development and implementation as a member of the WWF GEF Agency.
This position: (i) provides support and guidance to teams developing WWF GEF concepts and projects, to ensure quality and compliance with WWF and GEF policy, (ii) plays an oversight and project compliance role for WWF GEF projects in implementation, and (iii) contributes to WWF GEF Agency strategy and operational efficiency. The position does not directly develop or manage projects.
- Project Development: Oversee and guide planning, process, and development of WWF GEF projects and programs through GEF project cycle in coordination with WWF offices, governments, GEF Secretariat, and other key partners; Provide strategic GEF and technical guidance for successful project design; Coordinate and ensure compliance of WWF and GEF standards throughout project development;
- Implementation: Oversee/lead implementation of WWF GEF projects and programs in coordination with WWF offices, governments, and other key partners; Support project teams in adaptive management, troubleshooting, reporting, and other implementation management duties; Coordinate and ensure compliance of WWF and GEF standards throughout project implementation;
- Representation: Represents WWF GEF Agency at internal and external meetings including project and program steering committee meetings/missions, as well as trainings, workshops, and key international events;
- Coaching: Supports WWF Network, government, and other key partners understanding of GEF institutions, policies, procedures and tools for the development of transformative ideas into WWF GEF projects and programs in line with GEF priorities;
- WWF GEF Agency Support: Supports the overall effectiveness and operation of the WWF GEF Agency by establishing, improving, and implementing new and existing WWF policies and procedures, as necessary; Builds relationship with GEF Secretariat and other key GEF stakeholders; Active participant in GEF Secretariat task forces and other ad hoc committees;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must have at least 4 years of progressively responsible experience with project management.
- Master’s degree is desired, in fields of study such as international affairs, international development, environmental policy, or environmental science. Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree in the indicated fields of study must have six years of relevant work experience
- At least three years of experience in developing large bilateral and or multilateral funded projects is preferred.
- Experience specifically with governments and institutions of the African continent is a plus
- Experience in managing/supervising project implementation/execution is desired.
- Experience working with GEF projects and knowledge of GEF policies and project cycle management is desired
- Must have excellent English oral and written communication skills, including public speaking and publications
- Excellent organizational skills with high attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple initiatives with competing priorities
- Ability to operate with independence and under pressure to meet deadlines and commitments
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work effectively with teams across cultures and multiple time zones
- Willingness to travel internationally and work beyond normal business hours
- Demonstrated knowledge of public sector fundraising, budgeting, and monitoring of compliance with donor norms is desired
- Experience working with WWF and the WWF Network is desired
- Experience working in a developing countries/regions is desired
- Experience conducting business in French is preferred
Please note: This position is based in our DC office
- Submit cover letter and resume through our Careers Page, Requisition #18028
- Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone
As an EOE/AA employer, WWF will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or protected Veteran status.