WWF Mediterranean Programme Office Project ManagerWWF MedPO is seeking an experienced project manager to lead a regional project on networking of protected areas staff in the Dinaric Arc.
I. Project description
Project main objective is to improve the quality of dialogue, understanding and collaboration between protected areas practitioners in Dinaric Arc (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Kosovo under UNSCR1244/99, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Slovenia). This will be achieved through joint actions, capacity building activities, personal contacts among protected areas staff, and establishment of positive regional identity built on truly shared natural and cultural values.
The first step will be to develop a vibrant, active regional collaboration network composed of institutions and staff responsible for protected areas. This “community of practice” will be built through regional parks workshops, staff exchanges and work on joint project development.
Second, a regional capacity-building plan for the network will be developed and implemented. These topics include, but are not limited to: A) Changing role of protected areas within the context of EU accession; B) Protected areas’ role in local development and introduction to The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity (TEEB); C) Quantifying and marketing protected areas benefits; and D) Protected areas and climate change.
Parallel to the first two objectives, a“Western Balkans/Dinaric Arc Parks" network brand and "sense of place", based on shared natural and cultural values, will be developed and widely promoted within the region and abroad. This will include development of communications strategy, visual identity and logo, work with media, advertising agencies and most importantly, national Ministries of tourism - for them to begin integrating information about the Dinaric Arc parks into their national tourism offer and campaigns.
II. Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage and supervise the activities of project’s team – capacity building officer, communications officer, project assistant
- Ensure timely delivery of all project objectives
- Ensure and maintain high-level political will of the countries involved in the project
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with multiple project stakeholders (PA practitioners, local and foreign experts, international and national institutions, donors, NGOs)
- Monitor and report on project activities and budget
- A degree in the broad area of environmental science, management of natural resources, environmental law or related fields. Advanced degree is an advantage.
- Minimum three to five years of project (including budget) management experience
- Minimum three year experience in interacting with multiple government institutions and NGOs, donors and regional organizations within the region
- Self-motivation, good organizational skills, demonstrated excellence in multi-stakeholder project management
- Understanding of the region’s geography, societies, economies, politics and pertinent issues of conservation and development
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in local language and English are required
- Ability to work in teams and motivate partners and colleagues
Position will start in early 2012 and be based within the Dinaric Arc region (preferentially in Zagreb, but other locations within the region may be possible, depending on the applicant’s qualifications).
WWF MedPO is offering a competitive salary at the level of international expert, and an annual contract with possibility of extension to 36 months. Position duties will require frequent travel (over 25% of time, depending on location) and irregular working hours.
Interested candidates should submit their CV with and accompanying letter of interest by e-mail to Dr. Deni Porej, WWF Mediterranean Programme Office (email@example.com) by Jan 16th 2011. WWF MedPO will only respond to selected candidates.