Assessment of carbon stocks
Land-use analysis at the start of the programme
Objective: Treatment and analysis of Very High Definition images provided by Spot Image's initiative Planète-Action to precisely analyze and assess land-use patterns and the different types of forests in the project area (as the highest quantities of carbone are stored in the forests).
Assessment of the above-ground biomass
- A first assessment via the LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) technology
Objective: Provide a very precise measurement of the height of the forest canopy and understory in the sites of the project.
Video: LiDAR data collected in Andapa-Bealanana
- The development of allometric models adapted to Malagasy forests
1. Cirad (Centre de coopération internationale en recherche agronomique pour le développement)
2. ESSA-Forêts (University of Agricultural Sciences of Madagascar)
Objective: Matching LiDAR data with information gathered through ground surveys and analysis in laboratory to estimate with accuracy the quantity of carbon stored in the above-ground biomass.
Assessment of carbon stocks in litter and soil
1. IRD (Institut de recherche pour le développement) - Eco and Soils Unit
2. LRI (Laboratoire des Radio-Isotopes) - University of Antananarivo
3. ESSA-Forêts (University of Agricultural Sciences of Madagascar)
Objective: infra-Red Spectrometric measurements on carbon stocks in both litter and soil in Fort-Dauphin and Andapa/Bealanana; and modeling of the evolution of these stocks under the effect of the rise of temperatures.