WWF Coastal Forest Programme - Project activities
Vision/ Objectives/ Activities
- Expansion and management of the Protected Area network in the Highlands and Coastal Forests of Cameroon;
- Sustainable wildlife use, specifically bush meat trade and conservation of threatened species;
- Support to conservation oriented community based initiatives;
- Support to the creation of community forests and hunting zones;
- Sustainable forest management and certification;
In order to contribute to the significant reduction of the identified threats, the programme seeks to:
- Promote viable partnership with oil drilling companies, agro industries, small scale agriculture, the Ministry of Forestry and Wildlife and other conservation organisations
- Promote land use planning by establishing a platform and framework for dialogue between actors, elaborating and implementing a land use plan for the Coastal Forests Programme area and improving the knowledge of local communities on applying modern farming techniques.
- Promote sustainable forests management and certification by developing capacities of producers in this respect.
- Strengthen community based institutions and other stakeholders through environmental education and sensitisation by putting in place an effective community based control mechanism aimed at; 1) reducing the exploitation of mangroves as fuel wood; 2) improving the attitudes of stakeholders towards bush meat; 3) apply sustainable hunting methods; 4) Improving and protecting water catchments
- Promote protected areas establishment and management, by putting in place appropriate strategies and implementing viable anti-poaching systems.
- Promote conservation based livelihood activities by building the capacities of communities to carry out alternative livelihood activities, while identifying market outlets for these activities.
- The programme is working towards safeguarding identified biodiversity targets such as Elephants, Drills, Mangroves, Forests, Great Apes, Cameroon montane endemic birds, Water birds.