Strategic Partnerships in Promoting Sustainable Conservation and Development
Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) have been signed between the Regional CBNRM Project and institutions such as Centre for Applied Social Sciences / Programme for Land and Agrarian Studies (CASS/PLAAS), FRAME, the Sand County Foundation, the Southern Africa Wildlife College (SAWC), Mushandike Natural Resources College (run by the Parks and Wildlife Management Authority, in Zimbabwe), the International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED), and Southern Africa HIV and AIDS Information Dissemination Service (SAfAIDS)/ IUCN - The World Conservation Union Regional Office for Southern Africa (IUCN–ROSA).
The Project works closely with WWF Country Coordinating offices in Mozambique and Zambia, and WWF LIFE in Namibia. Links are maintained with appropriate management authorities such as the Botswana Department of Wildlife and National Parks (DWNP); Zambia Wildlife Authority (ZAWA), Zimbabwe’s Parks and Wildlife Management Authority (PWMA); Direcção Nacional de Áreas de Conservação/National Directorate for Conservation Areas (DNAC); and Direcção National de Florestas e Fauna Bravia/National Directorate of Forestry and Wildlife (DNFFB) of Mozambique) of Mozambique.
The Project would like to establish and formalise linkages with the SADC Secretariat, IUCN and COMESA.
Interaction with all these organisations aims to achieve a number of objectives that cover the following:
- Promotion of peer learning for the development and implementation of CBNRM policy
- Mainstreaming of CBNRM education and training into formal and non-formal training institutions
- Strengthening of CBOs to support community based natural resource management
- Mobilising financial resources required for CBNRM
- Increasing technical capacity amongst managers and trainers involved in natural resource management.