About the project
- Forest carbon monitoring: Thailand establishes a high‐resolution forest carbon basemap and a permanent, credible forest carbon monitoring system to go with this. User‐friendly web-based tools will allow stakeholders at all levels to be involved in this work.
- Sub-national REDD+ pilot project: A pilot project covering forests of high conservation value and forest restoration areas in Thailand produces a comprehensive “project design document”(PDD). The sub-national project will be designed to allow similar projects to be implemented in Thailand and other countries.
- Capacity building: Local stakeholders at every level are equipped to use and benefit from these activities.
- Knowledge sharing: Knowledge, skills, experiences and lessons learnt are transferred to other countries in the region and internationally. This will accelerate development of REDD+ ‐related technology and capacity in those countries and in Thailand.
Project principlesTREEMAPS is committed to:
- Using emerging technology to meet natural resource challenges
- Working with local people and community-managed forests
- Respecting the interests of diverse stakeholders in all aspects of the project
- Building on the existing knowledge base – globally and, especially, in Thailand
- Working with appropriate partners to maximize synergies, efficiency and effectiveness
- Integrating the project into Thailand’s national REDD+ process.