A brighter outlook for the Coral Triangle
Towards a solid management blueprint
Our first goal has been met...
As a result, the first of WWF’s Coral Triangle Programme policy objectives has already been met—agreement at the highest levels by the governments of the Coral Triangle region to a partnership to sustainably manage their national and shared marine natural resources.
...but much more remains to be achievedThe Plan of Action is just a first step in an intensive process of dialogue, consultation, planning, partnership building and implementation. WWF is focused on:
- Implementation of the Regional Plan of Action through innovative public private partnerships and investment that secure the future of the Coral Triangle and its wealth of marine resources
- Creating and supporting the appropriate governance mechanisms for collaboration among CTI governments and stakeholders
What are the foundations of success?To succeed, the Coral Triangle Initiative not only needs unprecedented collaboration among the six national governments, but also to engage many stakeholders within and outside the region in an effort that recognises:
- a coastal population base of more than 120 million people and hundreds of political jurisdictions and entities within the Coral Triangle
- millions of consumers outside the Coral Triangle
- potentially hundreds of NGOs and scores of major donors
- and large industries such as fisheries and tourism