What we want to do
• Maintain and establish key corridors for the movement of brown bears and other large carnivores.
• Secure protection for all remaining virgin and old growth forests, using the Carpathian Convention, EU and national legislation.
• Promote close to nature forest management, including through FSC certification, for at least 4 million hectares of forest.
• Support implementation of the Lower Danube Green Corridor, the Alpine-Carpathian Corridor, the Mura-Drava-Danube Transboundary Biosphere Reserve, the March-Thaya trilateral reserve and other Ramsar sites.
• Implement and support floodplain and wetland restoration projects across the Danube. WWF has over 25 completed, ongoing and planned wetland restoration projects.
• Save Danube sturgeon from the brink of extinction by addressing illegal trade and poaching, securing spawning areas and restoring migration across the Iron Gates dams.