The Mara-Cosau-Rooster’s Peak area begins evaluation process as an ecotourism destination
The self-assessment requires filling in a comprehensive standard form which contains the following criteria:
- Satisfying a set of minimal criteria related to the attractiveness of the area (such as the existence of at least one protected area and cultural attractions), the accessibility and existence of tourism and public services.
- Practising sustainable management of the area – the management of the protected areas and the relationship between custodians and the local communities, especially the tourism sector, marketing the area in a responsible and consistent way.
- Maximising the social and economic benefits for the local communities and minimising the negative effects (employing local work force, supporting the local economy through local policies, etc).
- Conserving and giving prominence to the cultural heritage and minimising the negative effects.
- Elaborating or improving local public policies to integrate the principles of an efficient use of natural resources, the maintenance of the landscape design and the traditional architecture, the reduction of the impact that waste, greenhouse gas emissions, residual water have on the environment.