Shipping in the Arctic
- The Northwest Passage (Canada) would save two weeks in travelling time versus the Panama Canal.
- the Northern Sea Route (Russia) is already in use by commercial ships.
What WWF is doing
- Mapping data on Arctic species, ecosystems, cultures and industry that will help us make concrete policy recommendations pertaining to Arctic ship traffic.
- Advocating for a strong Polar Code, currently under discussion in the International Maritime Organization, which will set legally binding environmental requirements for all ships in the Arctic.
- Working to establish PSSAs (particularly sensitive sea areas) to protect vulnerable areas from shipping activities
Our vision for Arctic shipping
- Ships venturing into Arctic waters must be prepared for Arctic conditions, especially those carrying ecologically hazardous cargos.
- Operational practices for ships operating in Arctic waters should include measures forbidding the discharge of ballast waters in Arctic areas to prevent the introduction of alien species.
- These measures need to be backed up with monitoring and enforcement.
Shipping news from WWF
WWF launches new way to explore key part of Last Ice Area
WWF’s interactive map brings footage and data together to demonstrate the need to properly protect ...
WWF study supports need to phase out use of heavy fuel oil for Arctic shipping
A study commissioned by WWF-Canada on marine fuel alternatives for use in the Canadian Arctic has ...
Environmental Rules for Polar Shipping Veering Off Course
New rules to prevent pollution from shipping in polar waters are insufficient to protect threatened ...
Drifting Barge Brings Arctic Council Opportunity
As an abandoned, fuel-laden barge crosses icy Arctic borders, WWF is calling on the Arctic Council ...
Arctic Council states must lead on strengthening Arctic shipping rules
Arctic states and Arctic Council observer states must step up at their meeting next week to address ...
New Arctic Economic Council could be a missed opportunity
A new coalition of Arctic businesses, established today at an Arctic Council meeting in ...
Remembering the Arctic’s most traumatic tanker spill
The Exxon Valdez tanker spewed more than 41 million litres of oil into Prince William Sound, ...
Filling holes in polar shipping rules
The recent announcement that insurer Lloyds of London is adopting its own Arctic shipping ...
WWF launches the full version of its interactive map on nature and risk in the Arctic
Explore the Arctic on the new ArkGIS map.