Arctic Marine Governance
In light of these rapid changes, the current regulatory and governance regime for protection of the arctic marine environment has become inadequate. New measures must be adopted if we are to protect and preserve the marine environment and sustainably use the Arctic’s marine resources.
What WWF is doingWWF works with arctic states and arctic Indigenous peoples to promote
- The closure of governance gaps;
- Protection and preservation of the Arctic Ocean;
- Sustainable ecosystem-based management of Arctic resources.
The Circle: arctic governance issue
- What happens when previously inaccessible areas of the Arctic Ocean become accessible for fishing and oil and gas exploration?
- How should national and international interests be balanced in the Arctic Ocean?
- What are the roles of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) and the Arctic Council?
- Are the current legal regimes sufficient?
- What do some of the arctic states want arctic governance to look like?
- What is the Indigenous perspective on these issues?
Key international actors in Arctic governance share their thoughts and ideas in this edition of the WWF International Arctic Programme magazine.