Curbing illegal fishing
Urging States to implement international agreements and close Flags of Non-Compliance, that currently see as many as 1,300 fishing vessels of significant size taking advantage of cheap vessel registration services in countries that do not adequately enforce their obligations to manage the vessels they flag.
- Promoting the use of black lists for IUU vessels.
- Promoting the need for increased cooperation and control measures by port states and flag states.
- Contributing to the OECD High Seas Task Force, which published practical recommendations for preventing and eliminating IUU fishing on the high seas. We are now supporting an international high-level panel working to implement these recommendations.
- Working with legitimate and responsible fishing companies.
- Contributing to plans of action, such as the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) International Plan of Action on IUU Fishing.