Fairer Fisheries Partnership Agreements
- respect sustainable fishing levels
- account for environmental costs
- protect local fishers
- include compliance with flag state laws
- are based on best practice fisheries management
- include cooperation on research and monitoring
- ensure adequate monitoring and enforcement capacity
- ensure fairer sharing of economic benefits between producer and extractor nations.
What's the problem?
If properly designed, these Fisheries Partnership Agreements can be sustainable and provide much-needed revenue for cash-strapped countries.
But more often than not, they result in overfishing and create substantial tension between governments, local fishers' organizations, and industrial groups.
Find out more...