Environmental impacts of cotton
- Massive use of water - One cotton shirt of 250 gram requires about 2,500 litres of water ► find out more
- Contamination of water supplies ► find out more
- Uses more pesticides and fertilizers than most other crops, which pollute water supplies ► find out more
- Replacing huge swathes of land, at the expense of climate-regulating forests and biodiversity ► find out more
- Soil erosion ► find out more
Be part of the solution
► If you are concerned about the environmental and social impact of the cotton products that you buy—that’s clothes and linen among other—contact your favourite clothing companies and ask them if they’re part of the Better Cotton Initiative.