About the Programme
Magnifying the effects through leadership
Our partnerships are aimed at delivering , and in CO emissions.
We work with businesses and independent experts to set emissions reductions and magnification targets. These targets are demonstrably more ambitious than previously planned and communicated by the company, and place the company ahead of its competitors in terms of reducing greenhouse gases.
Outside experts monitor and verify compliance with these agreements.
WWF Climate Savers is built on two leadership pillars:
- Reduction in operational carbon footprint
- Magnifiers: company acts as agent of change
Reduction in operational carbon footprint covers the following scopes
- Energy efficiency of products, processes or facilities
- Energy-saving products
- Transport efficiency
- Fuel switching to natural gas or increased use of co-generation
- Conversion to renewable energy (supply, use, marketing)
- If a scope 3 inventory exists, the company should set a quantitative scope 3 emission reduction goal, both upstream and downstream their value chain
- Otherwise, the company should commit to measuring and reporting scope 3 emissions, in line with the GHG Protocol Scope 3 Standard
Magnifiers: company acts as agent of change
Companies magnify their impact by influencing society.
There are four basic types of magnifiers:
- Public Influence
- Climate Positive Approaches
Examples of industry magnifiers include showing leadership by cooperating on the company’s vision, strategy, and solutions with peers:
- Company targets activities that improve the climate performance of the sector or set an example within the industry;
- Company is an active and progressive player in their regional and/or global industry sector sustainability initiatives;
- Company creates leadership projects or tools to foster innovation and learning on sustainability throughout the industry.
Examples of value chain magnifiers include company showing leadership by cooperating on the company’s vision strategy and solutions along the value chain:
- Company sets goals to constructively engage value chain partners to reduce their carbon footprint;
- Company creates leadership projects or tools to foster innovation and learning on sustainability throughout their value chain.
In order to join WWF’s Climate Savers programme, companies must set clear objectives on two to three magnifiers (magnifiers may include existing or ongoing initiatives).
For a visual presentation of how the programme works please click here.
By the end of 2011, Climate Savers companies will collectively have cut carbon emissions by an estimated 100 million tons since the programme’s inception.