Forest timber trade

Greening the markets & trade rules

Rain forest timber awaiting conveyance down the Kinabatangan river. East Sabah. Borneo. Malaysia. / ©: WWF / Gerald S. CUBITT
Rain forest timber awaiting conveyance down the Kinabatangan river. East Sabah. Borneo. Malaysia.
© WWF / Gerald S. CUBITT
Illegal and unsustainable trade in timber and wood products drives rainforest deforestation, costing the global economy billions of dollars every year.
So what is WWF doing about the problem?

We work with businesses for forests...

WWF is transforming the global marketplace into a force for saving the world’s valuable and threatened forests through its Global Forest & Trade Network (GFTN).

By linking together suppliers, producers and purchasers from across the forest industry supply chain, the GFTN works to eliminate illegal logging by driving improvements in forest management and trade practices.
» More on the GFTN

GFTN encourages trade links between companies committed to achieve responsible forestry, and sustainable forest management and trade.

The way we do this is by trying to create market conditions that support conservation of forests while providing economic and social benefits for businesses and people that depend on them.

A pathway to sustainability and economic efficiency

The GFTN provides a framework for companies—a proven stepwise approach which allows companies to develop forest management plans outlining the steps for achieving credible certification.

GFTN also helps companies phase out products from unwanted timber sources and increase those of certified sources.

Meanwhile, WWF staff provide local 'on the ground' support to ensure partner companies continuously improve their business practices.

Find out more about GFTN

 / ©: (c) WWF
© (c) WWF

Stay updated with the GFTN Quarterly

We also engage governments & trade processes...

We work with governments to develop and implement viable forest laws and legal enforcement.

For example, through the forest law enforcement and governance (FLEG) process, and the EU Action Plan on Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade (FLEGT), we aim to convince governments to take actions to curb illegal logging and trade. well as communities

WWF is working closely with indigenous and local communities, like the Miskitos in Nicaragua, rubber tappers of Acre in Brazil, and Village Forestry Associations in Laos. 

Part of our work involves providing market access through credible forest certification. All this helps the community with economic and social development while improving protection and management of their forests.
» More on our community work

By sustainably managing 60% of the world's forests, we could protect the remaining 40%.

WWF and World Bank, 2001

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Donate to WWF

Your support will help us build a future where humans live in harmony with nature.