- WWF recommends shopping from companies that have committed to certified sustainable palm oil—by using this report or WWF’s online interactive tool to help make purchasing decisions
- Look for the RSPO trademark on products
- Ask retailers to source certified sustainable palm oil products for everything they sell—not just their own brands
- Ask manufacturers to source certified sustainable palm oil
- Contact WWF to find out about other ways to get involved with our work
- Join the RSPO and become an active and responsible member. In particular, companies need to make sure they are setting themselves targets and reporting on progress.
- Make a commitment to sourcing 100% certified sustainable palm oil by 2015 at the very latest and implement a time-bound action plan to deliver the commitment. Companies should set milestones along the way, starting with understanding how much palm oil they use, and where it is coming from.
- Be transparent on your use of palm oil. Transparency is essential at this early stage in the evolution of a sustainable palm oil market – growers need to know what the likely demand for certified sustainable palm oil is. As RSPO members, companies must also report annually to ensure that the world can easily see the progress being made.
- Start sourcing certified sustainable palm oil—from any of the RSPO supply chains. WWF does not believe that companies should wait until Segregated sustainable palm oil is widely available before they take action. Despite its drawbacks, Book and Claim should be used where Segregated and Mass Balance are not yet available.
- Start investing in traceable supply chains of certified sustainable palm oil. The industry as a whole needs to start to clean up its supply chains and ensure that options like Book and Claim and Mass Balance are being used as stepping stones toward only using fully traceable, Segregated certified palm oil.
- Go beyond “own commitments” and engage suppliers of branded products to make similar commitments. Retailers and manufacturers producing for others are not just judged on their own brands but on their overall responsibility.
- Take every opportunity to raise awareness of the RSPO and certified sustainable palm oil. One way to do this is to use the new RSPO trademark on products containing certified sustainable palm oil. In particular, WWF wants companies operating in Asian markets such as China and India to make sure they are using every available opportunity to promote sustainable palm oil.