2011 Palm Oil Buyers' Scorecard
How do companies rank?
However, clearing tropical forests for oil palm production can be very damaging to wildlife, communities and the wider environment—not least because deforestation makes a major contribution to greenhouse gas emissions caused by human activity.
Certified sustainable palm oil is one solution. However, although it is available in sufficient quantities, only a small portion of available certified sustainable palm oil has actually been bought.
What is the Scorecard?The Palm Oil Buyers’ Scorecard 2011 measures the performance of 132 major retailers and consumer goods manufacturers against 4 areas which show whether these companies are acting responsibly.
The Scorecard focuses on European companies, since they are leading the way in transforming the market for palm oil, and were the first to commit to the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO). However, it also looks at other markets such as Australia and Japan where some progress is being made.
We also compared the performance of some companies assessed in 2011 and in our previous Scorecard in 2009. Find out more ►
What are the conclusions of the Scorecard?The Scorecard reveals that there has been some progress on sustainable palm oil since the 2009 assessment. But new commitments are just not translating fast enough into increased use of certified sustainable palm oil.
The implications for companies are clear—they need to shift gears immediately and accelerate their use of RSPO-certified palm oil.
This is a chance to show the world that they are part of the solution, rather than part of the problem.
Find out more ►
- Join the RSPO and be an active member
- Make a commitment to source 100% RSPO-certified palm oil by 2015 at the very latest
- Be transparent about their use of palm oil
- Start using certified sustainable palm oil immediately
- Start investing in traceable supply chains of certified sustainable palm oil
- For retailers, go beyond “own brand commitments”
- Raise awareness of the RSPO and certified sustainable palm oil globally
- Shop from companies that have committed to certified sustainable palm oil
- Look for the RSPO trademark on products
- Ask retailers to source certified sustainable palm oil products for everything they sell—not just their own brands.
- Ask manufacturers to source certified sustainable palm oil
- Contact WWF to find out about other ways to get involved with our work (see list of offices here ►)