Themes of the summit
- Ensuring food security and securing livelihoods.
- Securing the natural freshwater systems of the Himalayas.
- Securing biodiversity and ensuring its sustainable use.
- Ensuring energy security and enhancing alternative technologies.
Outcomes of the summitRepresentatives from the 4 nations signed a declaration to adopt a 'Framework of Cooperation' that included the following objectives:
- Improve and sustain food production;
- Help vulnerable communities gain better access to nutrious food;
- Establish regional knowledge sharing and capacity building.
- Enhance practices that will minimize climate change induced disasters;
- Promote water efficiency and water efficient techniques - including modern and traditional methods;
- Increase knowledge sharing of climate change adaptation;
- Improve the regions understanding of the impacts of climate change on water resources.
- Create an interconnected mosaic of conservation spaces across the Eastern Himalayas;
- Ensure the sustainable use of biodiversity for poverty alleviation and income generation;
- Establish a regional mechanism for knowledge generation and sharing.
- Enhance access to affordable and reliable 'clean energy services for all';
- Promote diversification of energy supply and the use of cleaner energy resources;
- Improved regional connectivity for electricity and natural gas;
- Enhance energy efficiency;
- Mainstream climate resilience in energy systems.