Posted on 25 April 2019
The World Wide Fund for Nature seeks a Ecotourism Manager for its Programme in Dzanga Sangha
WWF (The World Wide Fund for Nature) is an International Non-Governmental Organization that deals with conservation of nature. Our mission is to stop the degradation of the planet’s natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature.
The Dzanga Sangha Protected Areas are located in the rainforest in the south-western part of the Central African Republic and the northern edge of the Congo basin forest. The area is well known for its impressive biodiversity and is the biggest intact forest remaining in the country. It comprises a total area of more than 6 000 km2
. The long-term goals for WWF in the Dzanga-Sangha Protected Areas are to protect the forest ecosystem and to promote sustainable development in the region. The development of eco-tourism is a very important part for the sustainable development trajectory of Dzanga-Sangha.
WWF Central African Republic Country Office seeks to hire an experienced and motivated individual for the position of Ecotourism Manager for its programme in Dzanga Sangha
To join our team, you need to be passionate, be a self-starter with an outgoing personality and have a positive attitude. You also need to be prepared to spend your time in a logistically challenging yet magnificent and secured environment in Southwestern CAR.
Bayanga, Central African Republic
- Supervise the construction and maintenance of Eco Lodg
in and associated accommodation facilities;
- Creates and develops close and continuing relations with tour operators, tourisms and travel agencies, tourisms officials in the project area for the purpose of tourism for conservation;
- Train key programme people
- Supervise activities related to tourism in collaboration with lodge contractors and existing / potential tour operators, ensuring an efficient activity reservation system and logistics, tourism welcome centres, guide training, and data collection and analysis;
- Contributes to market Dzanga-Sangha in relevant international tourism fairs
- Identify and engage with potential partners (travel agencies, tour operators, hotels in Bangui) to attract tourist
- Work in collaboration with the Communication Department to feed the website with stories around the available tourism opportunities in DSPA.
What you need:
Required Skills and Competencies
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Tourism, Marketing or any related areas;
- Minimum of
2 years’ experience, with demonstrated success in an international environment (NGO or Company); an experience in Africa will be an advantage;
- A proven track record of implementation of a tourism development plan
- The position requires a person who is a self-starter with the ability to work quickly and efficiently to meet tight deadlines in and out of office hours and who can accomplish the tasks with little supervision
- Good leadership and team work abilities;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Excellent inter-personal skills, including the ability to develop and maintain strong relationships at all levels, within WWF CAR and, as required, with external stakeholders;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English and French;
- High ethics and a personal commitment to transparency and accountability;
- Sensibility on safeguarding standards and social policies (gender, human rights etc.) are expected;
- Ability to work in a remote environment with regular missions offering logistical challenge
- Adherence to WWF’s values, which are knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging.
Please consult the attached job description for more information on the position.
How to apply?
Email a cover letter and CV to email@example.com
The subject should read ECOTOUR-DSPA. Deadline for applications: May 20, 2019.
Thank you in advance for your interest in this position. Please note that only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for follow up. If you have not been contacted six weeks after closing, consider your application unsuccessful.
Female and African nationals applicants are encouraged.
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce