Posted on 19 February 2019
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) is an International Non-Governmental Organization that deals with conservation of nature. Our mission is to stop the degradation of the planet’s natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature.
We are looking for a dynamic, enthusiastic and highly qualified Manager, Governance Relations & Strategic Partnerships
to lead the planning, execution and monitoring of WWF Zambia policy influencing and governance strategy to secure political commitments and strategic partnerships that support WWF Zambia’s strategic conservation priorities; and to provide leadership in the development and implementation of WWF Zambia’s partnership approach with government, private sector and CSOs.
1. Programmes Development and Implementation:
- Participates in the development of WWF Zambia conservation strategy and strategic change;
- Provide technical support in the development of natural resources governance and policy programmes/initiatives in line with national priorities and WWF international governance practice broad goals for transformative change;
- Leads and supports WWF Zambia’s annual planning and budgeting for its Policy and Governance engagement with government, civil society and partners to deliver specific policy and governance outcomes;
- Provides programmatic support and technical advice to project teams and field staff in responding to policy and governance initiatives and opportunities including constitutional, policy and legislative processes;
- Identify and advocate for the mainstreaming and alignment of NRM Policy and Governance related initiatives within the country, regional and WWF global strategic and action plans as well as Global Initiatives Governance and policy needs;
- Contributes to the development of strategies for building effective WWF Zambia and Civil Society Policy Advocacy capacity to engage and influence county, national, relevant international policies;
- Leads in the assessments, tracking and reporting of progress against strategic goals relating to policy and governance programme implementation and action plans including quality assurance and capacity building;
- Directly supports and contributes to WWF performance monitoring systems i.e. APMS, SPMS and Dashboard;
- Offers effective supervision including mentoring and performance management of staff under the Programme;
- Prepares and presents periodic technical reports on the progress of implementation of conservation programmes and project activities including timely donor reporting in the designated area.
- Partnerships, Collaboration & linkages:
3. Management of Resources and Budgets:
- Lead advocacy and relationship building towards specific policy advocacy and strategic relationship outcomes;
- Identifies and pursues strategic collaborations and partnerships with governments, private sector , Civil Society organizations, WWF stakeholders and professional bodies in advancing governance in conservation programmes;
- Support conservation teams to identify and nurture key relationships and opportunities to deliver WWF Zambia strategic opportunities, with direct responsibilities to nurture assigned relationships;
- Initiates and/or develops strategic conservation related policy research alliances between WWF Zambia, WWF Network and other NOs in order to advance conservation goals;
- Promotes cross programmes and projects linkages and synergy in order to mainstream policy & governance initiatives;
- Participates in knowledge management through policy research, publication and dissemination of policy briefs and papers including representing WWF Zambia in national, regional and international policy platforms;
- Champions the domestication of relevant national and regional policy instruments at local level in promoting sustainable natural resource management;
- In consultation with the Director, Conservation Programmes facilitates cross-border initiatives to promote good governance in natural resource management.
- Leads the development of bankable policy & governance programme proposals as part of the wider resource mobilization strategy;
- In consultation with the finance team, develops a cost-effective budget, schedule and tracks policy and governance programmes to ensure compliance;
- Ensures prudent management and safety of assets and resources including intellectual properties under custody;
- Coordinate and review and structure projects that lead to governance outcomes.
4. Leadership and People Management
- Leads teams in strategy development and strategy execution to secure policy and public investments commitments to support WWF Zambia priorities;
- Develops and implements the necessary policy, governance and advocacy training strategies for WWF and partners;
- Supervises all policy & governance programmes staff;
- Role model WWF behaviours and values;
- Manage consultants;
- Coordinates setting of programme work plans and staff performance targets and undertakes periodic performance appraisal for programmes staff;
- Liaises with Human Resource function in carrying out staff training needs assessments and recommends training programs to address performance gaps;
- Maintains staff discipline and ensures effective handling of staff grievances in consultation with HR function and disciplinary committee;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelors in public policy development or natural resource management policy studies;
- Master’s degree in Policy, international relations and development, development studies, social sciences, or management and training or related field will be an added advantage;
- 7 years of experience at management level in a similar role influencing policy at national, regional and global levels securing political commitments that support natural resource governance or sustainable development outcomes;
- Tangible track record of successful lobbying and advocacy outcomes through influencing policy making and policy implementation;
- Tangible track record making successful teams;
- Tangible track recording of drafting proposals and securing funding;
- Experience working on public, private sector and CSO partnerships an added advantage.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Strong understanding of the political economy of Zambia, actors and institutions within the and political decision making processes needed to advance natural resource governance;
- Policy development and policy influencing skills and experience;
- Planning, Program development and management skills of impact and outcomes;
- Leadership and people management skills;
- Problem solving and conflict management skills;
- Technical report writing;
- Proposal development skills;
- Organizational and communication skills;
- Negotiation and contract management skills;
Good interpersonal skills with the ability to network and to develop and maintain strong relationships at all levels;
Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, plan and implement strategic initiatives within the context of conservation, natural resource management, international development, and/or other related fields.
Adherence to WWF’s values, which are: Passionate & Optimistic, Challenging & Inspiring, Credible & Accountable, Persevering & Delivering Results;
Exemplification of WWF’s key behaviors: Strive for Impact, Listen Deeply, Collaborate Openly, and Innovate Fearlessly.
How to apply?
Applications must include cover letter and CV with contact details of three referees and should be addressed to The People & Culture Manager-Africa through firstname.lastname@example.org
by Tuesday 5th March 2019 at 5.00pm Lusaka Time.
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.