Posted on 16 July 2018
WWF China in Beijing
The WWF Network Executive Team has approved a High Impact Initiative to Close Asia’s Ivory Markets, as part of the Wildlife and Markets Practices. The objective of the Initiative is to ensure that, by 2022, China and related ivory markets are closed, effective enforcement and implementation is in place, demand for ivory among Chinese consumers is significantly reduced, and there is a positive catalytic impact for closure of ivory markets across Asia. The Initiative will be led by WWF China on behalf of the Practices and the WWF Network. The purpose of this role is to lead and direct the implementation of this Initiative.
WWF China in Beijing
- Leads the WWF network in its 4 year Initiative to close Asia Ivory Markets—across all relevant Asia offices, and at the global level.
- Mobilizes the human, technical and financial resources both within the WWF Network, and externally, to implement this initiative. Develops strong relationships with institutional donors for external fund-raising.
- Manages a coordination team.
- Mobilizes transformational actions from external actors and stakeholders in support of the Initiative on Ivory: acts as“door opener” and ambassador for the Initiative.
- Works with and takes advice from the HII Advisory Group to implement the Initiative, and to identify and act uponemerging threats and opportunities relevant to Ivory markets in Asia.
- Supports regional and international policy formulation, lobbying and negotiation on Asia Ivory markets issues, internally as well as externally in various international policy fora; supports national and local policy work.
- Supports the development and delivery of ivory demand reduction campaign in China and with Chinese online consumers and tourists.
- Represents WWF at relevant international conventions and meetings where necessary, and acts as a spokesperson in international media in relation to Asia Ivory markets issues.
- Helps ensure Asia Ivory markets issues are well integrated with the communities of practice in the Wildlife &Markets Practices.
- Develops strategic alliances with business and industry to deliver on the Initiative including securing pro-bono support and participation in demand reduction efforts.
- Develops and nurtures institutional relationships key to achieving the Initiative’s strategic goals including partnering closely with relevant NGOs.
- Assists WWF Offices (implementing and supporting offices) in delivering on the Initiative’s Goals and Objectives; provides guidance to help ensure country workplans deliver against HII goals.
- Responsible for identifying gaps and priorities and funding needs with the HII Advisory Group.
- Manages the Initiative coordination team.
- Works closely with enabling teams across the WWF network to ensure delivery of the Initiative.
- Effectively manages the HII coordination budget; s/he will be responsible and accountable for proper, wise and strategic use of these funds as well as supporting fund raising efforts.
- Works with WWF program communicators to develop campaign approaches as necessary, and communication outreach to support the Initiative’s objectives.
- Responsible for ensuring monitoring and evaluation of the impacts of the Initiative against agreed targets. And providing these reports to funders as well as communicating internally and externally.
- Ensuring strong external collaboration with NGOs, governments and businesses.
- Report to WWF China CEO and to the Wildlife and Markets Practice Leaders.
- Works closely and collaborates with WWF International Wildlife &Markets Practice Leaders and their teams, and with the WWF China CEO and their teams.
- Works closely with the Ivory Markets HII Advisory Group, to ensure delivery of the strategic plan and work plan.
- Nurture and maintain positive relationships with relevant country Conservation Directors and staff with regard to implementation of the HII within their countries.
- Nurture and maintain positive relationships with all relevant WWF network Communications and Fundraising & Development staff.
- Works closely with TRAFFIC.
- This role requires teamwork at all operational levels. The successful candidate is expected to work with others in team-spirit for the good of the organisation and towards meeting the conservation objectives.
- Works closely with implementing and donor partners (bilateral and multilateral), governmental and non-governmental representatives, as well as private sector representatives.
- Engages with donors in coordination and collaboration with the network, WWF International and NO/PO program and fundraising divisions.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Competencies:
- Technical proficiency in the field of conservation, natural-resource management or international development.
- At least 10 years professional experience in a leadership role, with demonstrated success in managing multi-disciplinary teams and multiple donor budgets.
- An advanced degree or comparable experience in conservation, natural sciences, social sciences, management/MBA,international development, international policy or a relevant field is desirable.
- Excellent knowledge of and commitment to Ivory markets and conservation issues, and their global context.
- Excellent campaigning and communications skills.
- Experience in engaging with business and industry sectors, to change practices and consumer behavior.
- Experience in raising and mobilizing funding.
- Experience with building strategic alliances and partnerships to achieve common goals.
- Experience in leading global teams.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a complex organisation, with cross-cutting, multi-national, multi-disciplinary,teams.
- Excellent command of English and Mandarin(written and oral).Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Adheres to WWF’s values, which are: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging.
- Demonstrates WWF behaviours in ways of working: strive for impact, listen deeply, collaborate openly and innovate fearlessly.
How to apply?
Send your covering letter and CV as one file (in both Chinese and English) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
with the subject line “Applications for Director, Global Coordination, Ivory High Impact Initiative” a
nd your salary expectations
in your message.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Work permit restrictions may apply.
Deadline for applications:
by 28 Aug 2018
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.