Job Opening: Regional Lead for Wildlife and Wildlife Crime, WWF-Greater MekongWWF-Greater Mekong, one of the most biological diverse regions in the world, is seeking a Regional Lead for Wildlife and Wildlife Crime. The Lead will work closely with the five country programs in the region to build effective transboundary conservation projects. He/she is responsibility for the implementation of Greater Mekong Regional Initiatives for Wildlife conservation and Wildlife Crime. He/she will lead an exciting array of strategic projects that focus on delivering significant and measurable outcomes by 2020. The Wildlife Lead ensures that sufficient resources and capacity are mobilized to achieve these outcomes, which range from tiger reintroduction in the Eastern Plains of Cambodia/Vietnam; tiger conservation on the Thailand/Myanmar border; Saola conservation in the Lao/Vietnam border; and closing the illegal wildlife markets in the Golden Triangle and other centers of illegal wildlife trade.
- Major Functions:
The role will require technical expertise in conservation, impact monitoring, strong communications ability, and effective coordination with the Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam Country Offices, relevant regional initiatives of WWF-GM and the global WWF network, and other stakeholders.
- Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent WWF-GM’s Regional Wildlife and Wildlife Crime Initiative within internally externally, to present WWF-GM as a global thought leader on wildlife and wildlife crime.
- Ensure the delivery and lead the development of annual work-plans for implementation of activities towards 2020 outcomes of the Regional Wildlife and Wildlife Crime Initiative.
- Secure funds and capacity to implement the 2020 outcomes of the Regional Wildlife and Wildlife Crime Initiative and provide fundraising support to country offices.
- Support the design of the tiger recovery programmes in key GM landscapes including the Eastern Plains and the Dawna Tannessarim.
- Coordinate the design and provide technical support to country teams for wildlife conservation impact monitoring across GM priority landscapes, and support the implementation of the Wildlife goals and strategies of the GMP country offices.
- Represent WWF GM as a focal person for wildlife of Wildlife Practice with WWF International and and maintain regular communications with GM Shareholders.
- Ensure the Wildlife and Wildlife Crime Initiative generates resources required to meet the target on Cost Recovery (e.g. the Initiative Lead 60% from projects and 40% from core) and Technical Advisors (90% from projects and 10% from core).
- Manage all direct line-reports under the initiative including recruitment and performance appraisal.
- Produce Regional Wildlife and Wildlife Crime’s annual programme report and any relevant Technical Progress Reports for projects.
- Relevant qualification in wildlife conservation, natural resources management, environmental studies.
- Proven track record in programme and project management.
Required Skills and Competencies
- At least 7 years of practical experience in leading programmes related to species, protected areas, and impact monitoring.
- Experience in developing and writing related project proposals potential public and private sector donors. Successful fundraising experience.
- Adhere to WWF’s values: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging.
- Respective Competencies: WWF Focus; External Orientation; Delivery quality outcomes; Building working relationships; Communicate effectively; Leading teams; Leading change; Managing resources
- Working Relationships:
Internal: Interact on a regular basis with other Regional Strategy Leads, Hub Coordinators, Communication and Marketing Directors, Country Conservation Programme Managers, and relevant Landscape Managers. Engage with WWF Int’l Global Conservation Programmes, PIA Shareholder members and relevant WWF network offices.
External: Interact with donors and partners for the implementation of the Initiative in charge.
How to apply
Please find attached the detailed Job Description for this position. Interested candidates should email a cover letter and curriculum vitae in English to email@example.com by 30 November 2017.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.