Communication volunteer on Marine Conservation Project-WWF Adria
Location: WWF Adria (based in Zagreb, Croatia), Lastovo Islands and Telascica marine nature parks
Assignment dates: 1 May to 31 October 2018
Language required: good level of English
Age Category: 19-27 years
Mission of the Department: WWF Adria is established as a strong WWF network presence in the Western Balkans, a key conservation actor rooted in societies across the eight countries of the region, able to catalyze a wide range of partnerships and alliances towards delivering critical contributions to WWF Global Goals. In the operational sense, we are a part of the WWF Mediterranean Programme whose mission is conservation and sustainable management of forests, marine and freshwater ecosystems, and protected areas in the Mediterranean region. The main goal of WWF Adria is protection of the natural environment, biodiversity and ecological processes in the Dinaric Arc area.
I. Major Functions: Assist to WWF Adria Marine Programme in field implementation of projects (Transforming Small Scale Fisheries in the Mediterranean, FishMPABlue2, DestiMED) in Telascica and Lastovo Islands marine protected areas (MPAs). Provide support to MPA management institutions in building open and constructive dialogue towards visitors and stakeholders.
II. Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports WWF Adria marine team in implementation of project activities in Lastovo Islands and Telascica MPAs (establishment of local fishery co-management councils, supports functioning of local ecotourism clusters, assists in project monitoring activities, assists in organization and testing of ecotourism offers)
- Assists WWF Adria marine team in communication of project activities implemented in Lastovo Islands and Telascica MPAs
- Assesses the effectiveness of Telascica and Lastovo Islands MPAs present communication works and existing communication strategies and develops recommendations for improvements to fill identified gaps and shortcomings;
- Builds capacity of Lastovo Islands MPA staff and Local Ecotourism Cluster in story telling/development and develops one story per month;
- Supports MPA staff in organization of events/workshops/trainings related to implementation of WWF Adria projects;
- Writes a monthly blog for WWF Adria web page describing experiences of WWF internship and work in WWF Adria partner MPAs
- Reports monthly to WWF Adria Marine and Communication programme managers
Required Qualifications, Skills and Competencies
- Preferably Master’s degree in communications, public relations, marketing or related field.
- Technical proficiency in the field of public relations or communication related field.
- Experience or knowledge in the field of sustainable tourism is a plus.
- Experience of dealing with a local people in a sensitive and effective way is a plus.
- Understanding of linkages between conservation and human well-being, linkages between conservation and development and complex relationship between natural resource and human society is a plus.
- Strong written communication.
- Ability to work in a team and motivate stakeholders.
IV. Working Relationships:
Internal – Interacts regularly with WWF Adria Marine Programme Manager and Project Officers
External - Works with MPA management and interacts with local governmental organizations, community based organizations, and visitors.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.
How to apply?
Please complete the online Application Form. If you already submitted a spontaneous online application in the past, please inform of your interest in this assignment by email.
Deadline to apply: March 5th 2018
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.