2010 Paper Company Environmental Index
WWF applauds these companies for their leadership and transparency, and invites other fine paper and tissue companies to follow suit and show their boards of directors, business partners, shareholders, investors, paper buyers and communities what they have done to reduce their global ecological footprint.
An updated Paper Company Index rating will be published in April 2011 and companies that are willing to join should submit 2010 environmental data to WWF by the end of March 2011 (see contact details below).
Who is the Index for?
- Businesses in the paper industry that wish to promote transparency and that are committed to change the industry’s business models, by showing leadership in environmental responsibility
- Paper product buyers who are keen to learn about the environmental performance of the companies that produce the products they use
- Paper industry stakeholders (e.g. investors, NGOs) seeking information on the environmental and risk profile of paper businesses
What are the results of the 2010 Index?Total Score - Fine Paper Companies
(out of 100)
What impacts did WWF assess and how?WWF's Paper Company Environmental Index covers the major impacts of the paper industry on environment:
- impacts on forest ecosystems from fibre sourcing (35% of the maximum 100 points)
- emissions from manufacturing process such as water pollution and greenhouse gas emissions (35%)
- corporate transparency (30%)
You can find out more about the assessment protocol by going to the methodology page.