What impacts did WWF assess and how?
WWF's Environmental Paper Company Index covers the major impacts of the paper industry on the environment:
- impacts on forest ecosystems from fibre sourcing (35% )
- emissions from manufacturing processes such as water pollution and greenhouse gas emissions (35% ), and
- corporate transparency (30% )
The criteria apply to both policy and production, hence measuring each company's targets and actual performance. The Index includes companies' own operations as well as those of the supply chain (e.g. market pulp bought for production of the end product).
- Approx. 50 major producers from the fine paper, packaging and tissue sectors were invited to participate in the 2011 Index, following the last iteration of the Index in 2010. 19 producers agreed to participate.
- WWF sent a questionnaire on the major impacts listed above to participating companies and analysed data provided by the companies.
- The companies were asked to submit evidence to substantiate data as needed, while publicly available data was also referenced.