- You can search with Ecosia – just like any other search engine.
- If you see an interesting sponsored link and click on it...
- ...the sponsoring company pays Bing or Yahoo for the click.
- Bing or Yahoo then gives the bigger chunk of that money to Ecosia.
- Ecosia in-turn donates at least 80% of this income to support WWF's work in the Amazon.
Your search can help earn hard cash for the Amazon
Ecosia donates 80% of the revenue generate from "paid searches" to WWF's Tumucumaque project in the Amazon.
Ecosia also compensates all the carbon associated with each search made.
For a quick and easy way to help the planet, Ecosia offers everyone with an internet connection the chance to help their one and only planet!
How it works
More on Ecosia
- The search engine Ecosia is powered by Bing and Yahoo
- It has an international partnership with WWF
- WWF receives 80% percent of the site’s total monthly revenue, in support of its work in the Amazon.
- In 2010m €123,000 was raised for WWF - simply through people searching the web as they do everyday.
- Ecosia specifically supports the world’s largest tropical forest reserve, the Tumucumaque Conservation Landscape in northern Brazil.
- One of the most bio-diverse regions in the world, Tumucumaque is home to a number of endangered species, including the jaguar.
- It is part of the Guiana Shield, which contains 1/4 of the world’s untouched tropical rainforests, as well as the last major unpolluted water reserves in the Neotropics, supplying 1/5 of the Earth’s water.
- Ecosia GmbH is a social business based in Germany
- 80% of its revenue goes to the world’s rainforests. The remaining 20% of revenue is reinvested in the further growth and development of the business.
- The carbon associated with each search made via Ecosia is offset to balance out the impact of that search.
- To this end, Ecosia collaborates with PURE - a UK based carbon offset charity, which invests money in Gold Standard projects for the creation of renewable energy sources.
- Ecosia also runs on verified green power sources.
Tumucumaque National Park
WWF's support work in Tumucumaque
Tumucumaque sub-region is a conservation block of some 25 million hectares in size.
It focuses on the western Amapá and northern Pará, southern French Guiana and Guyana.
This conservation block represents one of the world's most important opportunities for large scale conservation. Although some threats do exist, such as from gold mining and mineral potential, some illegal logging and some problematic settlements.
The area in and around Tumucumaque harbours more than 25% of the remaining tropical rainforests of the world, and from 80 to 90% of its forests are still pristine.
The region also holds the last major unpolluted water reserves in the Neotropics, with approximately 20% of all water from the Earth.
Moreover, the region also plays a significant role in climatic regulation, through heat absorption and carbon storage. Therefore, the region is widely accepted as a global priority for biodiversity conservation and sustainable development.
WWF’s work in the Tumucumaque conservation block takes into consideration the following steps:
- Planning (conservation targets, goals, conceptual model and result chains, strategies and partners), implementation, monitoring, evaluation, learning and a new cycle of planning;
- Integrated actions in priority areas;
- Conservation and sustainable development: protection, natural resources sustainable use, understanding and combat degradation drivers;
- Mitigation of environmental impacts from illegal mining;
- Maintenance of large natural areas to prevent deforestation and climate change.
- Support and consolidation of local partnerships and
- The development of strategies to preserve threatened species with large territories.
In the states of Pará and Amapá, according to the Tumucumaque conservation block design, there are 34 protected areas, covering over 29 million (29,199,460) hectares.
Some examples of local biodiversity are Maicuru Biological Reserve and Grão-Pará Ecological Station, with more than
- 61 amphibian species and high levels of endemism.
- 150 reptile species;
- 700 bird species - from small hummingbirds to large harpy eagles and migratory species);
- 195 mammal species.
The region is also habitat for large populations of at least 8 endangered species.
Local context is defined based on the impacts from illegal mining, the importance of conserving large traits of forested areas to prevent deforestation and climate change, the support and consolidation of local partnerships and the development of strategies to preserve threatened species with large territories.