About the Partnership
The Boston Consulting Group (BCG) is a leading global management consulting firm. Since WWF and BCG started their partnership in 2012, we have together embarked on numerous projects—globally, regionally and locally—in support of WWF’s mission to stop the degradation of our planet's natural environment and build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature.
How We Work Together
On the global level, we have worked with BCG to develop our "Truly Global" roadmap and implement a multiyear transformation that will change our global funding model by shifting resources to strategic, long-term efforts.
On the regional and local levels, BCG has helped our four largest offices—US, UK, Netherlands, and Germany—in developing transformation roadmaps of their own.
Insights from our Partnership
Ocean Assets Valued at US$24 Trillion but Dwindling Fast
- Ocean health is declining due to local stresses such as habitat destruction, overfishing and pollution and global phenomena including rapid and unprecedented changes in ocean temperature and acidity. In collaboration with BCG and Professor Ove Hoegh-Guldberg, we looked at the bottom-line implications leaders should consider in our Reviving the Ocean Economy report, which details what we all stand to lose if the mismanagement of ocean assets continues.
- Recognizing that science alone is an insufficient motivator, we combined the evidence of serious environmental degradation with the economic case for urgent action For more on the economic valuation BCG created for the report, see the methodology and sources here.
- BCG joined forces with WWF to evaluate how best to conserve and restore the health of the Baltic Sea region. The analysis showed that by 2030, the region could add 550,000 jobs and €32 billion in economic value by tackling pollution, increasing environmental regulations, and promoting collaboration among the Baltic countries and industry sectors.
- What’s more, the global demand for ”blue and green” solutions is on the rise, and the commercial benefits of developing these environmental solutions for sea and land are potentially enormous. Learn more here.
- The demand for palm oil and other commodities has exploded, fueled by the rapid growth of emerging economies such as India and China.
- BCG is supporting our efforts to develop a more global, strategic approach for promoting the sustainable production of commodities that can, when they are not produced responsibly, harm the environment through soil degradation, deforestation, agrochemicals, water contamination, and loss of biodiversity.
- Once a commodity’s supply chain has been analyzed and the key influence points identified, a strategy can be developed for industry transformation. Learn more here.
"The pressure on our planet is enormous, but the coalition of people, businesses, and governments who want to act has also never been greater. We are proud to partner with WWF to mobilize that energy. Our partnership provides the opportunity to build on our deep understanding of business, markets, and large-scale change to help protect a planet that's facing degradation at an unforeseen pace and find new solutions to today's challenges and those that lie ahead."
Marty Smits, Partner and Managing Director, The Boston Consulting Group