Waste Management: Evaluate How You Can Reduce Packaging Waste in Your Home
What you can do
There are a number of things you can do to minimise packaging waste. By doing so, you will be reducing demand on resources needed for its disposal and also the pollution caused as a result.
Reusing and recycling packaging products, like paper and plastic bags, string and wrapping paper, are, of course, obvious options. Take a look around you and try to figure out what other ways there are to manage packaging waste. Here are a few hints:
- Buy in bulk. Buying lots of smaller packs generates more waste. Bulk purchasing saves money, too.
- Always carry your own bags while shopping.
- Try to buy loose products where available. For instance, in case of vegetables and fruits.
- Opt for brands that have less packaging.
- Avoid buying bottled water unless tap water in your area is unsafe for drinking.