Freshwater and Energy Policy Officer - Dinaric Arc Sustainable Hydropower Initiative
We are looking for a Freshwater and Energy Policy Officer who will be responsible for leading and delivering the policy component of WWF's project “Dinaric Arc Sustainable Hydropower Initiative II” (DASHI II). The project targets key international stakeholders, and aims to have them contribute to making hydropower sustainable in the Western Balkan countries. The incumbent will also supervise the work of ad hoc consultants who will be hired to support the policy work, respond to media enquiries and provide interviews when needed, represent WWF MedPO in relevant policy events or arenas, contribute to the identification of sources for funding, lead or participate in the development of project proposals.
Travel within the region or beyond as required
The position will be based in one of the WWF MedPO offices in the Adria region (Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Albania). The initial contract is for one year with a possible extension to a five-year position.
- Lead on the DASHI II policy component as set out under Objective 1 of the project description
- Ensure the timely delivery of outputs under her/his responsibility as set out in the logical framework (see Annex hereafter) and agreed in the work plan developed jointly with the head of the Freshwater Unit
- Coordinate lobbying and advocacy work at a national level with local officers or partners
- Lead on the development of policy positions and advocacy strategies
- Lobby the private sector, IFIs, national authorities as well as regional organizations
- Build alliances and synergies, notably with watchdog organisations and other CSO entities
- Liaise with the EU and other international institutions
- Closely cooperate with other offices in the WWF network, in particular WWF EPO and DCPO, when developing positions on policies affecting freshwater ecosystems in the region or organising other regional activities
- Coordinate with MedPO's communications department on joint advocacy/communications activities and campaigns
- Stay abreast of new developments in the field of water or energy policies in the region and ensure timely reaction in cooperation with colleagues
- Assist MedPO training and capacity building programme for WWF staff and partner NGOs
- Provide regular information, policy briefings and reports to the head of MedPO Freshwater Unit as needed and requested
- Supervise the work of ad hoc consultants who will be hired to support the policy work
- Respond to media enquiries and provide interviews when needed
- Represent WWF MedPO in relevant policy events or arenas
- Contribute to the identification of sources for funding
- Lead or participate in the development of project proposals
- Travel within the region or beyond as necessary.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Competencies
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree in environmental management, environmental sciences, sustainable development, political sciences, hydraulic engineering and/or other related area
- Minimum 5 years experience in water- and/or energy-related policy work in the broader European area with responsibility for the implementation of complex projects or action plans
- In-depth knowledge of EU policies and legislation in at least two of the following fields: environment/water, energy, development and enlargement
- Experience in working with governmental and/or non-governmental players in the Adria region, familiarity with Adria social, economic and political context are strong advantages
- Fluency in English is a must; knowledge of one or more languages of the Western Balkans region is a major advantage.
- Proven skills in analysis of policies, plans and assessments; excellent writing and presentation skills
- Strong interest in the environment and identification with WWF's ethos, vision and mission
- Excellent networking, team-working spirit and ability to work in multicultural and multidisciplinary environments
- Availability for frequent traveling in the Adria region and in Europe
- Adhere to WWF’s values: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging.
How to apply?
Email a cover letter and CV to email@example.com with the subject line Freshwater and Energy Policy Officer
Deadline for applications: 31st March 2014.
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.