Global Media Relations Manager, Earth Hour Global
JOB DESCRIPTIONPosition title: Global Media Relations Manager
Reports to: Campaign Communications Director and CEO - Earth Hour Global
Contract duration: One year
Date: October 2013
I. Mission of Earth Hour Global
Uniting People to Protect the Planet.
WWF’s Earth Hour is the world’s largest environmental movement, taking place in more than 7000 cities and towns across all 7 continents, with a reach of more than 2.8 billion people. The Earth Hour Global (EHG) team based in Singapore coordinates the operation of the campaign throughout the world, working with delivery teams and partners on the ground in more than 154 countries worldwide.
II. Major Functions of role:The role is a part of the Communications Management team of EHG reporting to the Campaign Communications Director and the CEO.
The primary role is to assist in the management of the Media Relations partnerships of EHG leading up to, during and post Earth Hour 2014 (EH 2014), including but not limited to partners in the television and film production industry.
This will also involve maintaining relationships with media outlets and journalists for the execution of Earth Hour global news packages for the overall campaign period, including the global event on March 29.
The role will also entail a sufficient level of social media knowledge and broader communication integration for EHG’s digital properties.
The role will also focus on delivering the communication and PR strategy for EH 2014 to support the 154+ Earth Hour teams worldwide.
III. Major Duties and Responsibilities:● Works directly with global media partners on ensuring dynamic editorial opportunities are realised for the EH 2014 campaign
● Ensure dynamic editorial opportunities are realised through global media partner involvement in, and promotion of key Earth Hour Projects for EH 2014 campaign, with particular emphasis on television and film production promotion
● Assist in the PR execution of the EH 2014 global launch in February and the on-the-night event on March 29, liaising with news agencies, journalists, media publications to ensure growing coverage of evolution of Earth Hour movement in traditional and online media
● Ensure media opportunities and appearances for Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of EHG are realised for events with global media partners and in relation to evolution of Earth Hour movement
● Assist the CEO of EHG with meetings and forging contacts within the media landscape
● Assist in the delivery of press materials to WWF International and broader 154 country team partner network, providing resources for the network to encourage use of traditional and online media for Earth Hour 2014
● Ensure communication and message of Earth Hour Global is consistent and relevant across key global media partner assets and media materials
● Support the Campaign Communications Director in providing editorial direction and response for digital communications and social media materials in the lead up to, on-the-night of and post Earth Hour 2014
● Ensure that all relevant communication stakeholders and partners are kept abreast of EH’s evolution
● Performs other duties as requested by the Chief Executive Officer, EHG
- A bachelor degree, preferably in Public Relations or Communications
- 3 – 5 years of experience in a similar role
Required Skills and Competencies
- Advanced writing skills to prepare press materials and news releases to engage media;
- Strong leadership skills with an ability to think strategically and creatively;
- Demonstrated networking and relationship building skills in the media industry;
- Ability to adapt and perform under highly strategic and tactical situations;
- Demonstrate a keenness to learn all the core aspects of a campaign, including marketing, social media and digital strategy, brand management and production of advertising and other marketing collateral, especially for TV, print and online;
- Demonstrated skills and experience in managing high-level relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to work flexible hours outside normal office hours due to multiple locations and time zones;
- Experience working within a multi-cultural environment
- A broad understanding of current conservation issues.
V. Working Relationships:External – Global media partners, television and film production companies, newswires and news agencies, journalists, PR agencies, and news wires partners like Reuters and AFP, social media partners like Google, Facebook and Instagram
Internal – Part of a small but highly experienced and successful global team interacting with more than 154 country and territory teams of varying experience and resource. Liaising with WWF-International’s Communications and Marketing team based in Switzerland.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of responsibilities that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
Interested applicants are requested to send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com