Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan for the Mara River Basin
The Lake Victoria Basin Commission is a specialized institution of the East African Community that is responsible for coordinating the sustainable development agenda of the Lake Victoria Basin. Its vision is to promote, facilitate and coordinate activities of different actors towards sustainable development and poverty eradication of the Lake Victoria Basin. The Lake Victoria Basin Commission is striving to:
- establish a trans-boundary agreement to ensure water flows to sustain the biodiversity of the Mara-Serengeti ecosystem
- encourage implementation of harmonized river basin management practices and policies.
- facilitate cross boundary management of natural resources in the Mara River basin.
- conserving the world’s biological diversity
- ensuring that the use of renewable natural resources is sustainable
- promoting the reduction of pollution and wasteful consumption